May - Music

 

Oh how the power of music can touch our souls! We all felt this so strongly as we shared our memories and insights of hymns and songs that have impacted our lives.

The Ensign article, The Power of Music by Tamara Bailey and Christy Giles noted, "Music can soothe your feelings when you’re angry or irritated. Or it can make you feel frustrated and stressed. Music can invite the Spirit into your home—or drive it away. Music can inspire imagination. Many artists listen to music while creating their art and feel it improves their work. And studies have shown that some classical music, played softly, can actually help people retain the information they study."

President Nelson said, "We can give thanks for...music that nurtures our souls." We started our evening listening to the hymn, "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today"

Music taps into the same parts of our brain that lights up the reward and pleasure sensors. The chemical hormone Dopamine is released and floods the brain when we are listening to good music. Music is some cultures is used to ease pain or anxiety. Music is a language of emotions.

Then we jazzed things up a bit with one of the new youth songs, "If You Believe". It is from the 2021 album and it is a super fun song to move to.

There were memories shared of songs that reminded sisters of family members and gaining strength to continue on their mission. There were words and testimonies shared of struggles and how certain songs and hymns helped them to face the next day. 

Chrissy Metz song, "Talking to God" reminded us a bit about how music can even be a tool in our loving and ministering to our sisters.

A fitting end to our evening was a clip from Elder Holland's talk, "Songs Sung and Unsung" Using the analogy of music he reminded us that we all have a place in God's choir. That every voice is valuable.

Please share in the comments your favorite hymns, songs and thoughts about how music has touched your life and nurtured your soul.



Comments

  1. I love music and I know lots of us do. I love jamming to rock songs and dancing to swing music and chilling out to classical music too and am grateful for the variety of talents and emotions and sounds that there are in this world. I love the primary songs and the hymns and how uplifting they are to my soul.

    My favorite hymn is 86 How Great Thou Art. Lots of hymns really tug at my heart but this one in particular overwhelms me with gratitude for the Savior. I love how as we look around at the world around us, it reminds us of God's glory and greatness and His love for us. Then it talks about how Heavenly Father sent His Son, that He bled and died for us, which also shows His greatness and glory and love for us. Then in the last verse, this is what always gets me, that Christ is going to come again and how wonderful it will be to kneel at His feet and thank Him and honor Him and exclaim how great He is. I look forward to that moment and appreciate the reminder each time I sing that song that I should be preparing for that moment. I always feel the spirit testifying to me that this is true; that He loves me, He is glorious, that He will come again and I will see Him. Such wonderful truth! I'm so grateful for music and especially the songs that teach me truth and uplift my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolee BattagliaMay 30, 2021 at 6:49 PM

    I enjoyed the music activity so much. I’m not real musical but I love music and the feelings it gives me. I also love many genres of music. If all depends on my mood. I love how a song can bring back a flood a memories to remind us of a friend/loved one
    or a past life event. Sometimes it could be sad or joyful.

    I love so many church hymns and primary songs. My favorite primary song is A Child’s Prayer. I love the simplicity of the idea that Heavenly Father is there for each and everyone of us and he really does answer our prayers.

    I have a special feeling every time I hear I Know That my Redeemer Lives. This is actually my dads favorite hymn. Many years ago we sang this song during sacrament meeting. I was overcome with the spirit and tears started streaming down my face. Those of you who know me well know that I don’t cry easily. As it turns out, my dad became very ill about that same time and during the Relief Society hour my cell phone was blowing up with family members trying to get a hold of me. Dad ended up being OK but it was touch and go. Since then I can’t hear this song without thinking of my dad. The spirit still gets to me every time.

    Another favorite of mine is the The Spirit of God. Words can’t express the power and the strong spirit I feel when we sing this song. We don’t sing it enough if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your insights, thoughts or testimony on this topic